Monticule Art Advisory is a New York-based art advisory firm founded by Astrid Hill in 2013. Monticule, which means a small mountain or hill, specializes in contemporary works from both the primary and secondary markets and lends curatorial advice and collection management services to collectors focusing on both modern and contemporary art. She has worked with clients at all stages of their collecting journeys, from individuals who are looking to acquire their first work to seasoned collectors. She has long-standing relationships with top galleries as well as auction houses and enjoys lending her expertise on how to navigate the field. Astrid has a long roster of artists represented in clients’ homes and is especially proud of the strong group of female artists whose work she has placed in both emerging and established collections.
Monticule is a full-service advisory that works with clients through the entire lifecycle from the research and education phase through the acquisition and eventual management of works in a collection. Leveraging her deep relationships within the industry, Astrid introduces clients to emerging and established artists through tailored gallery walks and studio visits, and provides an insider’s view into the ins and outs of the often opaque art world. She also works alongside clients to analyze data from both the primary and secondary markets to target the best works and opportunities, while lending transparency into the market. From identifying unique acquisitions to negotiating prices and terms, Astrid continues to monitor the artists in her clients’ collections to make sure they are aware of their latest works and any significant changes in value. Monticule also seamlessly manages shipping and installation, and assists with all future movement and management of works.
Research & Art-World Immersion
- Introduces collectors to emerging and established artists via studio visits, art fair tours, bespoke gallery walks, and museum exhibitions
- Provides context to situate contemporary artists within the arc of art history
- Helps collectors establish a personalized vision and parameters for their collections
- Analyzes artists' primary and secondary markets
- Identifies acquisition opportunities
- Leverages longstanding relationships to access sought-after artworks
- Solicits offers from galleries and auction houses, and presents recommendations to collectors
- Negotiates pricing and terms
- Arranges post-sale logistics, including shipping and advice for securing appropriate insurance, once the artwork is installed
Logistics & Collection Management
- Oversees the installation and presentation of artworks
- Manages each collection, including rotation and storage
- Continuously monitors the artists within clients' collections, and facilitates sales as needed